26 July 2010

Notes on St. Paul & Losing Myself # 3

Through feeling poor, being needy for love, feeling abused, and trying to heal my wounds, I've developed a perspective of charity.  Meeting one another's needs is essential to wellness for all people.  This unity in Christ is unity in service and in love.

Jesus demolishes the barriers between God & man, liberating us, freeing us from orthodoxy.

Love asks nothing more than to help others.  UNITY.

Finding Unconditional Love

The 4 states of mind known as the brahmaviharas.  Consciousness settles as these qualities are radiated.  This consciousness is a selflessness and a unity with God.

1)  friendliness or lovingkindness metta - gentle friend
2)  compassion karuna to lighten sorrow
3)  joy mudita simple pleasures
4)  equanimity - upekkha even mindedness of non attachment, no judgment, indifference

Pantanjali, an Indian Sage, from 2 BC compiled the Yoga Sutra

Quiet the mind.

Swami Satchidananda
By cultivating attitudes of 
friendliness toward the happy
compassion for the unhappy
delight in the virtuous
disregard toward the wicked
the mindstuff keeps calm.


Vikshepa - tendancy of the mind to be distracted and outwardly directed

Pantanjali - when we react haphazardly or callously to what people do around us, inner disturbance is the result.


Focus on indifference not judgment.

22 July 2010

A week earlier, the man across the street who I formerly referred to as the redneck from Columbia was staying in his condo.  I paid no attention to him, except that his dogs were unleashed and he annoys me.  However as I extended friendship toward the young happy people at the pool I learned that they were his children, and one month ago their mother, his wife, died, suddenly.  It was his daughter who told me.  I felt useful.  I gave her a place to talk about it, but even more, I suspect we were supposed to interact.  This loving kindness is necessary to create unity.  I will approach her father with kindness when he returns.  Here among my neighbors was a strong bearded man, with dogs and a fishing boat, in grief, and I was concerned with myself.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."  2 Corinthians 1:3-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment