04 July 2010

Hipster Small Talk

She's a hipster. According to Urbandictionary.com 
Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively.

While this is typically considered a state of mind, it also involves nouveau dress and living. She's got it. She's  young, and smart, loves literature and cooking.  She's the graceful southern version of a Greenwich village hipster.

Beth prays, and laughs.  She inspires passion for learning and living.  Cool things happen to her.  Her eucalyptic energy entices me.

Beth is always welcome to kayak at my house.  She and her husband Matthew clean the equipment and put it back neatly after they use it.  

Last night, John, Buff, Maggie and I rode over to Bowen's Island on our bicycles and watched the fireworks as we rode along.  We pedaled under a starry sky, watching the bombs burst in air, celebrating our independence on a beautiful, cool, 77 degree evening with a light breeze.  

Two glasses of Malbec into my dreamy buzz, I see Beth in the parking lot at Bowens after the fireworks show.  I suck at small talk, and I'm a little bit wobbly.  It never occurs to me to discuss the literature course we are taking together next week.  Instead, I say hello, something stupid about I wish every day could be the fourth of July (but it was only the 3rd of July), and then I realize except for the fireworks, everyday is like this for me, and I simply don't have any other words to say.  She politely and gracefully mentions she brought her parents.  And all this time, during the whole conversation, the only thing I can think about is damn, I was going to wear this outfit on Tuesday to that class we are taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment