05 March 2011

All my friends are doing it.

All of Betsy's friends are winners. Erin brought home the gear medal from the Santee triathlon. I covet that prize.

I ride bikes and kayak with John. I like to play outside and notice the woods and the river as they awaken in March. I'm not competitive, except I don't really want to play if I'm not going to win.

Luckily yesterday Team Folly unexpectedly gathered for our impromptu Clemson Triathlon kick off event at the Charleston Food & Wine Festival. This training party involved coffee beer, wine, cucumber vodka, duck confit and coconut cake. Team captain B. Spahr told me, "you've got to take it a little seriously." I think this pep talk was brought on as a response to Erin's earlier message that she bench presses in her sleep, speed runs through knee deep pluff mud every morning for two hours, and squats at her desk all day as she types. Duh, she has the gear medal.

So In the morning, I ate my oatmeal with blueberries, got a deep tissue massage, and spent some time in the Perception Shadow. John & I paddled 4 miles around Oak Island, and stopped twice. Betsy says we have to shave 7 minutes off our time if we plan to stop for kissing points.




John savored the Black and Blue, exploding with flavor and texture, turkey, blue cheese, mixed greens, avocado, black beans, jasmine rice, fig balsamic reduction, yummy energy in a wrap.

I tried the Almost Summer, bright fruity crunch with chicken, mandarin oranges, goat cheese, rice noodles, candied almonds, arugula, and raspberry citrus vinaigrette.

Homemade yogurt and potato salad on the side.

After refueling, we exploited Marrington Plantation. Fast and forgiving, swamps, creeks, trees, jumps, ferns sprouting green covering over the ground, broken bridges, gullies, roots and the lyrics to "Have a Cigar." John's favorite hobby, mountain biking, and my favorite hobby, photography combined.

You're gonna go far,
You're gonna fly high,
You're never gonna die,
You're gonna make it, if you try;
They're gonna love you.



John rode the BMX trail, a little loop with jumps, and a place for me to capture the moment.



Twelve miles and think I'm cheating on this day that it didn't rain. John brought hummus, tzatziki, and pita for our post ride snack.

I'm not a bi-athlete; I'm bi-winning.

For dinner I grilled a veggie burger, steamed carrots and sauteed squash and zucchini. To unwind we watched, Get Low, with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray. "I wish you peace from the burdens of your mind. I wish it for us all." - Reverend Charlie.

Still winning.

Let the training begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment