05 October 2009

Adventure Training - Team JJAM - Live Strong

Training regiment this weekend:

  • Friday, 2 October 2009 - 2:15 - 3:05 - bike ride with John to the top of the Ravennel Bridge.
  • Saturday, 2 October 2009 - early afternoon - kayak ride with kids (in tow at points) to the bend at Bowen's Island and back.
  • Sunday, 3 October 2009 - early morning - 6 mile walk (leisurely for at least 4 miles) looking for shells on Morris Island.

This weekend my children decided our family motto would be live strong. It began after I had a mini-epiphany. Last weekend, I participated in the Folly Beach Triathlon, (only the biking portion - 8 miles on the beach) having only practiced 4 times. I worked a lot on focusing my mind. I chanted mantra's in my head like, "ride your race Melissa" and "focus, rhythm, pedal." I also thought my standard, "peace, love, joy" and I even added for cadence, "health." However, with at least 3 people my age whom I know personally battling breast cancer right now, and my brother battling colorectal cancer, I also started the chant, "Fight Cancer." The problem with that final mantra was that it assumes I have cancer to fight.


As I was hitting my speed bag, trying to keep my focus, chanting, I realized, I can't keep thinking fight cancer, or I'll be fighting. I want peace, love, and joy. So I started thinking about Lance Armstrong, and Live Strong, and I realized, yes, that is the difference, not fight hard, not destroy anything, but live, and live healthy and strong. So yes, I want that to be the motto for my children and me.


So Friday's bike ride was very fun with John, followed by a very delicious homemade organic pumpkin pie. Saturday's kayak ride could only be better. We were all getting ready, my children were excited, Abbey has even talked about training for the triathlon herself. They would be riding in their own kayak's and John and I would be paddling our matching stealthy and speedy Perception touring boats. We carried tow ropes just in case they couldn't make it.


On the way out the dock, Abbey noticed a school of stingrays feeding in the low tide pluff mud. I lured her away telling her this would not be the best thing we would see today, just the first. I think something about the stingrays in the same water that she was freaked her out, so the journey begins with Abbey saying she absolutely can not do this; she wants to go home. The trip continues with whining and complaining until it's end.


Jake paddles rambunctiously, every direction; we are headed into the wind, so we decide to attach him to us. He resents this, as he is perfectly content, so his whining begins, and also never ends. Dolphins are within 2 feet of his boat, but he's so consumed with getting unhooked he never sees them. I whisper loudly, trying to get his attention; he misses the live sea world display.


Despite the constant negative noise, the paddle is wonderful.


The kayak experience, sheer beauty coupled with constant complaining, plus the new motto Live Strong, equaled the need for a family meeting. These are our family goals:


1) live the best life we can possibly live

2) get a good education

3) be responsible for our stuff / own our actions

4) stay positive / treat everyone with kindness

5) give more than we take

6) work together / help each other

7) eat healthy




No comments:

Post a Comment